Thursday, March 29, 2012

Creative Entrepreneurs "Michelle Ward" Share Their Business Struggles

"Michelle Ward"In the beginning stages of my business, my biggest struggle was my full-time job! I knew I couldn’t cut off my income stream and strike out on my own before (a) I was certified as a life coach (b) had some savings in the bank to live on so I wouldn’t have to execute Plan B (something like working retail/waiting tables) for a good 6 months (c) I felt confident that people in the world knew I existed.
The first thing I did was to get out of my full-time job that expected me to be on my BlackBerry 24/7, had me travel way too much for my liking, and came with a verbally abusive boss (fun!). Before even signing up for life coaching classes, I made it my mission to find a non-Blackberry, non-traveling, overtime-free job with a boss who wasn’t psychotic. I met with what must’ve been close to a dozen recruiters to rework my resume, test myself on computer basics, and have ‘em set-up interviews for me. In a month or two’s time I had a job offer to be an Executive Assistant in a financial consulting company. It wasn’t the best fit ever, but it had all the requirements I was looking for, gave me a bigger salary (and a bonus! and overtime pay, if I had to work it!), as well as the guarantee that I could devote my nights and weekends to my coaching classes and clients. It took me 2 years & 7 months to go from my first day there (which was also the first month I started my life coaching classes!) to go from my first day to my last, but who the heck’s counting now?! I’ve been a full-time entrepreneur for over 13 months and am thriving, and my full-time, abusive-free day job helped me get here.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More